This was the date of the announcement in the gazette Amtsblatt der Königlichen Regierung zu Potsdam; previously, on December 1, a notice had been issued by the Berlin Police Headquarters. The factory was initially situated on a leasehold property at Köpenicker Chaussee 27, located right next to Kattun-Druckerei R. Goldschmidt & Söhne, one of the largest textile processing factories in Berlin, the managing directors of which were Theodor Goldschmidt’s uncles Karl and Eduard.
Due to this connection, the young chemical company primarily supplied precursors for textile processing, including preparing salt (sodium stannate), dextrin, chloride of lime, salt of tin, and small amounts of tin chloride. In 1889/1890, Chemische Fabrik Th. Goldschmidt then relocated to Essen, where it laid the foundations for today’s Goldschmidtstrasse site.